Monday, April 13, 2009

Hot Springs and All You Can Eat

This weekend we went to the hot spring that you may have read about in Carolyn's blog. It is located in the mountains near Taichung (Dakeng). Supposedly they are natural hot springs, but they are new and I'm not so sure of that claim. The place itself is quite nice. It's a hotel resort and the prices are very reasonable.

The spa has two hot spring jacuzzis, both of which I sat in for awhile but they really burn. I couldn't stay in them too long because they were too hot for me. I did however enjoy the warm water pool with the various fountains. I particularly liked the fountain that felt like a waterfall giving you a back massage. I also tried out the pool with the fish that you stick your feet in and they eat the dead skin off your feet. Unlike Carolyn, I found the fish to be very unpleasant. It's like a tiny biting sensation and it's very startling every time a new fish comes to eat your feet. The bigger fish are downright painful. But the spa did give us free ice cream, which is very nice after having spent 4-5 hours in a hot spring.

Afterwards we went to an all-you-can-eat barbecue. It was similar to a Korean barbecue I visited in Taiwan. In the middle of the table is a barbecue pit where you can cook your food, and they also have a hot pot with soup cooking on the corner of the table. For about $12 US it's all you can eat for 2 hours. We had 4 rounds with about 10 dishes per round, for 4 people. We ate a ton and most of it was good. I still have a boycott on organs but Carolyn tried the chicken hearts and cow tongue. On the other hand I ate the raw beef while she still refuses.

So to sum things up, it was a long day but it was well worth it.

No comments: