Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dakeng pt. 2

I haven't posted to my blog in over a week now because nothing really interesting has been happening here. Last weekend Carolyn and I briefly went to the Jazz festival here in Taichung but I really don't like jazz so we didn't stick around too long. We did go to this nice park called Feng-Le sculpture park at night, and all the sculptures were lit up and they had live music.

This past week I've been mostly working or just hanging out. We opened bank accounts here, which was rather annoying. We waited at the bank for almost an hour until they finally called our number, and then the bank teller filled out these long forms for us and after being there for an hour and fifteen minutes we finally had bank accounts. But it felt like we sat there forever.
I've been assigned a children's class (13-17 years old), and another adult's class, so that puts me at 2 adult classes, 1 children's class, and a one on one. But I only work about 15 hours a week so I'm still not making what I want to, but hopefully I will soon get more classes.
Today Carolyn and I went hiking at Dakeng again. This time we went on trails 2, 3, and part of 5. We got much better views but it was really hazy out so we couldn't see very far into the distance. Trail 3 was very very long and by the time we were done we were very exhausted. What makes me feel worse is that we passed 3 dogs climbing up the mountain as well, 1 being a pug making grunting noises, and they all seemed to do it easily. Maybe they practice and train for it.Here is a view from high up. It's a great view except for the haze. If it wasn't hazy today we probably could have seen the city where we live.
What's this? Another collapsed bridge. Every trail we have been on has a collapsed bridge due to landslides. That is actually a very steep drop by the way, although the picture doesn't make it look like it is.


Bobby, Jennifer, and Tricia will probably be coming here in November so when we do some sightseeing I will have more interesting things to post about.

Items of Interest
5. We live on a fairly large road so now again and again we hear parades going by in the evening. Well recently a parade came rolling through with people in large Chinese general outfits, and they were carrying what I presume to be a neon strobe-light religious statue (though Carolyn at first thought maybe they were parading around a pinball machine). They were setting off loud fireworks in the street (the exploding ones on the ground), and what was very strange was that they were shooting off Roman Candles in the streets. We were on our deck on the 11th floor and we thought we were going to get hit. The building across from us got buzzed with one. The following video is of that parade, but I didn't capture any of the roman candles in it. Sorry for the picture being sideways, I forgot that you can't rotate video easily.

4 comments:

mama lanni said...

Are these just spontaneous parades? It sounds like someone is being shot! Nice touch, Mike.

Michael Goldberg said...

I don't think the parades are spontaneous, but there aren't many people usually watching or participating. There are also many parades like this so people are probably bored with them in general.

Billie said...

happy bday 2 me...thanks for the bday comments. looks like things are going well for you.

Billie said...

oh...check out my blog from time to time...www.rauccilove.blogspot.com